ICC Cricket World Cup is one of the top three sport carnivals in the World. First edition of the tournament took place in 1975 in England. Starting from England, tournament travelled to Indian sub-continent and then to southern hemisphere in Australia & New Zealand, Africa and then to Caribbean as well. The tournament has thus been hosted in every part of the globe. So far there have been ten editions of this tournament and eleventh is slated for early next year in Australia and New Zealand.
EXCERPTS FROM THE BOOK
Snapshot of 1st ICC Cricket World Cup played in 1975
1) Kepler Wessels played in World Cup representing two different countries. In 1983, he represented Australia and he was captain of South Africa in 1992 World Cup. Apart from Wessels, Anderson Cummins, Ed Joyce and Eoin Morgan have also represented two countries in World Cup.
2) AB de Villiers, the swashbuckling batsman from South Africa has a unique and dubious record against his name. He is only player from a Test playing nation to have four ducks in a single tournament (2007 World Cup).
3) India and Sri Lanka played each other in 2011 World Cup final. It happened first time since 1992 World Cup that Australia was missing from the final. During all the World Cups during this millennium, either or both of India or Sri Lanka have reached to the final.
4) India’s explosive batsman Virender Sehwag achieved a unique feet in 2011 World Cup. India played their first five matches (all were group matches) against Bangladesh, England, Ireland, Netherlands & South Africa. Virender Sehwag struck the very first ball of India’s innings in all of these five matches for a four. Sehwag did not play in last group match of India against West Indies. He however played his next match against Australia, which was quarterfinal match. Lee bowled first ball of India’s innings to Sehwag. This time around however, Sehwag played it defensively and 1st ball boundary spree finally came to an end.
5) Outstanding batsman from Pakistan, Mohammad Yusuf has a unique record under his name in World Cup and that too as a bowler. Yusuf as bowler has 100% success rate ie wicket on every ball bowled. Yusuf bowled only one ball in World Cup. He bowled it in a match against Zimbabwe in 2007 World Cup and claimed wicket of Christopher Mpofu.
6) Renowned umpire Simon Taufel made his international umpiring debut in 1999. He has been best in the business over the past one decade. However he could not officiate in a World Cup final till 2011 as in 1999, 2003 & 2007 World Cup finals, his country Australia was one of the finalists. Finally his long time desire was fulfilled in 2011 World Cup as Australia crashed out in the quarter final and Taufel officiated in the final match played between India and Sri Lanka.
7) Unarguably, India has been the most unexpected winner till date in the history of World Cup Cricket. In 1983, India went in to the tournament as underdog. Their chance stood nowhere in front of West Indies, Australia, England and Pakistan. At the start of tournament, as per bookies odds for Indian victory were 66-1. India however staged one of the biggest upset ever and lifted the cup.
8) Australian Mark Waugh scored three centuries in 1996 World Cup. He was first to score three centuries in a single edition of the World Cup.
The book has more than 220 such trivia and complete snapshot of all the ten editions of World Cup. Kindle version available at amazon.in/amazon.com. Paperback is available at pothi.com and at amozon.com
Written by PANKAJ AGRAWAL
Powered by BRP Enterprises